- PTSD—Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder—is a type of anxiety disorder. It can happen after someone has seen or experienced a traumatic event that involved the threat of injury or death.
- Experts don’t know why traumatic events cause PTSD in some people but not in others, but someone with a history of trauma may have a greater chance of PTSD after a recent traumatic event.
- There are various forms of treatment for PTSD, including support groups.
- Troops in Afghanistan and Iraq face many stresses that increase their chances of having PTSD. They may see others get hurt or killed, and are at risk for death or injury themselves. Additionally, service members may have to kill or wound others, must be constantly alert, and are away from home for long periods of time.
- Bath salts are a synthetic, stimulant powder containing amphetamine-like chemicals, including mephedrone, which may have a high risk for overdose.
- Because bath salts contain amphetamine-like chemicals, they carry the risk of heart attack, stroke and sudden death.
- In 2011, the American Association of Poison Control Centers received more than 6,100 calls about bath salt drugs.
- The full dangers of bath salts are still unknown, but some include rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure, chest pains, agitation, hallucinations, extreme paranoia and delusions.
- In June 2012, the Governor of Alaska signed legislation classifying synthetic cocaine, which is marketed as bath salts, as a Schedule IIA controlled substance. That puts bath salts on par with crystal meth, cocaine and LSD.
- Doctors report that patients who have used bath salts often show violent behavior, extreme agitation, vivid hallucinations and paranoia.
- The Yukon River travels 2,300 miles from its origin, 30 miles off the Gulf of Alaska, to its end in the Bering Sea.
- Chinook and chum salmon are considered the most important to the Yukon River area; sockeye, pink, and coho salmon are considered less important.
- The Yup'ik people believe that no one ever truly dies. Instead, each person’s soul is part of a cycle in which it is reborn within another generation.
April 04, 2013
Drunk and Dangerous Facts