- In 2009, civilian fire injuries decreased by 19%, but firefighter fire injuries increased by 33%.
- Home structure fires are at their peak between 5:00 and 8:00 pm, around dinner time.
- With an area of 7.5 square miles, Soldotna has 321 fire hydrants.
- The leading cause of home structure fires is cooking.
- In 2011, fires around the U.S. caused 2,520 civilian deaths. 62% of the deaths in home fires resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.
- Koyuk is a traditional Unalit and Malemiut Eskimo village. Residents speak a dialect of Inupiat Eskimo and keep a subsistence lifestyle.
- As of 2011, just under 350 people live Koyuk.
- The residents of Koyuk get most of their meat from fish, reindeer, seal, moose and beglua whale.
- Commercial fishing in Koyuk is mainly for herring.
- In the early 1900’s, both gold and coal were mined in the Koyuk region.
- Koyuk became an incorporated city in 1970.
April 05, 2013
Fatal Inferno Facts