- The fish farmed by Kampachi Farms, Seriola rivoliana, is also known as the amberjack, crevalle and yellow kingfish (among many other common names!)
- Seriola rivoliana is globally distributed in tropical and subtropical water, and eats small fish and invertebrates such as squid.
- A large eddy sits semi-permanently to the west of Hawai'i, and the resulting counter-current begins as far away as Asia.
- In addition to its role as the National Training Center, Fort Irwin is also home to NASA's Goldstone Deep Space Network tracking station. It has participated in the robotic exploration of Mars by the rovers Spirit and Opportunity.
- The NASA rover Curiosity launched for Mars on November 26, 2011. Estimated cost for the program: $2.2 billion.
- In 1998, 700 attendees at a convention in Boulder, Colorado formed the The Mars Society. A human presence on Mars is their stated goal.
- The extensive aquaculture farms in Sungo Bay, China, were initially based on research performed by the Yellow Seas Fisheries Research Institute (YSFRI). They promote ecosystem-based mariculture, a technique they call Integrated Multi-Trophic Aquaculture.
- Sungo Bay polyculture techniques include mixing net enclosures containing scallops with ropes bearing kelp. The result: 60% more kelp and 62.5% larger scallops than monoculture.
- In 2011, the US budget included $18.485 billion for NASA, and $4.5 billion for NOAA.
- Each manned Space Shuttle mission cost on average $450 million.
- Ballard's ROV Hercules can operate as deep as 2.5 miles.
- Ballard's ship is the E/V NAUTILUS. "E/V" stands for "exploration vessel", and it was built in 1967 in East Germany.
- Scripps Institute of Oceanography and the Office of Naval Research operate a wave-proof vessel. Called the FLIP ship, the spar-buoy design makes it incredibly stable in conditions that would rock traditional boats.
- In 2008, the USGS estimated that the Arctic holds the equivalent of more than 400 billion barrels of oil.
- There is gold in sea water… just not that much. Researchers from MIT found there to be one gram of gold in every 100 million tons of ocean water!
- The UN estimates that the world's human population will peak at 9.22 billion in 2075. By 2300, they estimate it will drop to 8.97 billion.
- The UN estimates that, in 2300, life expectancy will range from 87 to 106 years.
August 24, 2012
Facts: Inner vs. Outer Space