St. Petersburg Facts
- Around seventy cats live in the basement of the State Hermitage Museum. The cats were first brought to the grounds to control mice and rats.
- The Hermitage holds the greatest collection of Rembrandt artwork in the world, with more than forty of his works.
- The original Amber Room in Catherine Palace was dubbed the "eighth wonder of the world."
- The original Amber Room consisted of six tons of precious amber. Historians estimate that the amber is worth around $142 million in today’s dollars.
- The courtyard of the Catherine Palace covers an area of 118,000 square feet.