- The Mark W. Stiles Unit was established in June 1993.
- As of September 2011, the prison is capable of holding a capacity of up to 2,897 prisoners.
- There have been other escapes from the Stiles Unit. In 2011, an inmate used a contraband cell phone to help coordinate his escape, but he was captured a few days later.
- A 2011 analysis found that the Stiles Unit has one of Texas’s worst track records for prison staff members bringing in cell phones.
- I-10, which Harold Laird used as his escape route, stretches from the Pacific Coast in California to the Atlantic Coast in Florida.
- Through a Texas Department of Corrections program, about 6,000 offenders help staff agricultural projects throughout the state, including managing more than 24 types of crops and 10,000 heads of cattle.
- The average inmate in the Texas prison system has about an eight grade education.
- The Texas Department of Criminal Justice operates the nation’s second largest prison system.
April 03, 2013