Tunnel Break Facts
- The Indiana State Prison is a maximum security facility located in Michigan City, Indiana. Some of its inmates are on death row.
- In 1901, Joseph Keith, the first prisoner to be executed at Indiana State, was hanged.
- Indiana State Prison was established in 1860.
- Mark Booher, Lance Battreal and Charles Smith worked their way out through old tunnels.
- Prisoners incarcerated at Indiana State Prison have included bank robber John Dillinger and Ku Klux Klan Grand Dragon D.C. Stephenson.
- From 1913 to 1995, Indiana inmates sentenced to death were executed in the electric chair. The chair itself was actually made by prisoners.
- It costs an average of $54.28 every day to keep an adult inmate in prison in Indiana.
- The Indiana Department of Correction operates a museum that chronicles its history; included is a display on one of the department’s more famous guests: Charles Manson.