Harvest Moon Facts
- Bloodworms can grow to be 15 inches in length.
- Jim and Andy typically earn between 27 and 50 cents per bloodworm.
- Research on Maine’s bloodworms has been limited, though a 2006 report found there’s debate about whether the population is declining.
- Kentucky law limits the ginseng season from September 1st to December 1st to protect the plant from overharvesting.
- Today, ginseng is a common ingredient in energy drinks.
- Port McNeill, British Columbia claim to be the home of both the largest and second largest burls in the world. The largest burl weighing 30 tons and the second largest burl weighing 22 tons.
- Don’t eat raw eels! Even a small amount of raw eel blood is toxic enough to kill a person.
- The American Eel has been studied for centuries, yet scientists still don’t fully understand their spawning in the Sargasso Sea.