High Stakes, High Reward Facts
- The burls on Walnut trees grow underground. You won’t know how valuable it will be until you unearth the entire burl.
- Walnut burls are rare and valuable. The Jaguar car company sponsors a 175 acre (72 hectare) planting within the National Forest of the UK.
- Lightning can stretch out up to 65 feet after hitting the ground.
- Lightning can cause forest fires.
- To calculate how far away you are from lightning, just count the seconds starting immediately after the flash and stopping when you hear thunder, and then divide by 5. That will tell you how many miles away the lightning is.
- The emu is currently the second largest bird in the world.
- Even though emus cannot fly, they can outrun aviary predators by moving in a zigzag pattern.
- Emus protect themselves from other predators by using the large, knife-like nail on their toes.
- People experiencing hypothermia may begin to lose mental acuity and therefore be unaware that they need medical assistance.
- Beware of cold water. You can lose body heat 25 times faster in cold water than in cold air.
Burls sometimes grow under ground. It is really region and soil specific. You get in rocky areas and you will not find burls under ground. You get in soft and loam dirt it is easier for burls to grow under ground. Most that I have dug up in my region it is what you see is what you get. The deepest in my region has been 12". Were in portions of California I have seen burl grow 4' under ground such as pictured above.