In It To Win It Facts
- Middlesboro is the only city in the U.S. to be built in a meteorite crater.
- The name for the Appalachian Mountains comes from the Apalachee Indians.
- The U.S. began to harvest wild ginseng for international trade in the mid-1700s.
- Examples of furniture decorated with veneer burls have been found in ancient Egyptian tombs.
- Oregon exports hundreds of tons of burls each year to France and Italy.
- Maine’s coastline is about 230 miles from one end to the other, but if you count the jagged inlets and offshore islands it totals about 3,450 miles.
- The US increased its consumption of mushrooms from 3.7 pounds per person in 1993 to 4.2 pounds per person in 2000.
- Hen of the Woods has been used medicinally in Asia for centuries.
- In Japan, the Maitake, or Hen of the Woods, mushroom means “dancing mushroom.”