Jesus Rise to Power: Messiah Facts
- The earliest surviving complete copy of the Bible as we know it dates from around 350 AD.
- There’s no evidence to prove the shape of the cross that Jesus was crucified on. It could have been a t-cross, an x-cross or a single post.
- Via Dolorosa—“Way of Pain”—is the street that Jesus is believed to have walked as he carried the cross on the way to his crucifixion. It’s still considered an essential place for Christian pilgrims to visit.
- The Apostle Paul was a Jew when he converted to Christianity. He was a key figure in spreading Jesus’s message.
- The Roman Navy “policed” the Mediterranean to protect ships from pirates.
- By the 4th century AD, there were 25 Christian communities living in insulas (apartment blocks) in Rome.
- The idea behind crucifixion was humiliation: a slow, painful and public death. It was considered the ultimate punishment for crime.
- Being of Roman citizenship gave people many rights, including the right to vote, to enter politics, and to marry other Roman citizens.
- According to Biblical sources, the earliest Christian communities were mostly in seaport cities.