- While many consider Kentucky to be a Southern state, it officially sided with the Union in the Civil War.
- Many Kentuckians still supported the South, leading to in-state tensions.
- The first recorded duel in America took place in 1621 in Massachusetts, one year after the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock.
- More than forty formal duels were fought in Kentucky between 1790 and 1867.
- The recoil of Civil War cannons was so strong that it actually took longer to re-aim than to reload them.
- Two thirds of all Civil War soldier deaths were caused by disease.
- Both sides of the war used exploding ammunition in their cannons.
August 02, 2013