- The U.S. government tried to conceal the discovery of gold in Deadwood in order to keep peace with local Native American tribes. It didn’t work.
- The Chinese population in Deadwood was big enough to create a Chinatown complete with its own fire department.
- Gambling and prostitution in Deadwood were still legal at the turn of the 20th Century.
- In the early 1870s, condoms were common and easy to get, but in 1873, they were banned for promoting immorality.
- In the mid-1870s, bout 90% of the women in Deadwood were prostitutes.
- More than 25 million ounces of gold have been taken out of the Black Hills around Deadwood.
- Between 1874 and 1877, Deadwood saw as many as 20,000 prospectors.
March 07, 2014