- Gant Octopuses have been seen eating sharks and birds! But they also prey on bivalves, crabs and lobster.
- The Giant Pacific Octopus can change both the color and the texture of its skin, in order to camouflage itself.
- The incident shown in this episode took place near the Tzoonie Narrows, off the coast of British Columbia.
- The Pacific Giant Octopus is the longest-living species of octopus.
- According to the most recent figures, 8% of the membership of the U.S. Parachute Association is over 60 years old.
- NASA’s Orion spacecraft will use parachutes that weigh 300 pounds each and are 116 feet in diameter.
- In the U.S. there are over 300 recreational skydiving centers and clubs, operating over 500 skydiving airplanes.
- In March 2013, a skydiver had both his parachutes malfunction, and survived a drop from 8,000 feet. He hit the ground at 30 mph.
- One in seven fires that a fire department responds to will be a vehicle fire.
- 61% of highway vehicle fires start in the engine, running gear, or wheels.
- Motorcycle stuntman Evel Knievel has the Guiness World Record for “Most Broken Bones in a Lifetime.” His record notes that he had 433 fractures through 1975. The following year he retired from doing major motorcycle stunts.
December 09, 2013
Disaster in the Sky Facts