- The US Census Bureau estimated that the 2011 population of Denver County was 619,968.
- Marijuana became legal for recreational use in 2012 - Colorado is one of only two states that allow this.
- With the passing of these laws, Colorado became the world's first legal, regulated and taxed recreational marijuana market for adults.
- The number of gang-related violent crimes in Denver has nearly doubled in the first four months of this year when compared with the same time in 2012.
- There are 34 murders per 100,000 people in Denver.
- Mexican black tar heroin is the predominant type of heroin found. Mexican brown heroin is also found to a lesser degree.
- The 4/20 celebration at Civic Center Park in Denver, however, hosted an estimated 80,000 people on April 20th.
- Asian street gangs, particularly Asian Pride and Viet Pride are notorious for distributing club drugs.
- Marijuana is the most widely abused drug in Denver. Mexican grown weed and BC Bud have dominated in recent years, but Colorado grown legal marijuana is rapidly overtaking.
- Mexican poly-drug trafficking organizations control most of the methamphetamine, cocaine and heroin distribution in Colorado.
- Two nationwide street gangs with predominant African-American memberships, the Crips and the Bloods, have a presence in the Denver area.
- Private smoking clubs have started opening in Denver where, for a fee, you can become a member and then partake in smoking marijuana, much like the Amsterdam Coffee Shops.
August 08, 2013
Rocky Mountain High Facts