- From January to June 2011, Poison Control Centers in the US received 3470 calls about Bath Salts. They received 304 in 2010.
- In 2008, poisoning overtook motor vehicle accidents as the leading cause of injury death.
- Between 1999 and 2008, there was a 90% increase in the poisoning death rate.
- It has been estimated that synthetic marijuana generates nearly $5 billion a year.
- The chemicals in drugs known as bath salts are often synthetic derivatives of cathinone, a stimulant that affects the central nervous system, which is found in the khat plant.
- In 2012, a joint operation known as Operation Log Jam conducted by the DEA and ICE, along with other agencies, resulted in over five million packets of synthetic drugs and $36 million in cash seized.
- In an effort to combat the spread of synthetic drugs, the DEA and Attorney General used temporary scheduling authority to add five synthetic cannabinoids and three synthetic stimulants to Schedule I of the Controlled Substance Act in 2011.
- Based on a 2009 survey, the DEA estimates that 21.8 million Americans have used an illicit drug at least once in the month prior to the survey, also known as a “current user”.
- According to the DEA, the most “widely abused” synthetic drug that is produced in the United States is methamphetamine.
- Synthetic drugs often don’t show up on standard drug tests, making them a popular alternative for people who have to undergo drug testing at their place of employment.
- Some of the dangerous effects from abusing bath salts can include paranoia, panic attacks, mood swings, reckless behavior, hyperthermia, and sleep depravation.
- In 2011, a DEA Program Manager estimated there were at least 1000 synthetic drug manufacturers in the United States.
- The first state to ban synthetic cannabinoids was Kansas.
- In 2009, only 14 calls were placed to American Poison Control Centers about incense. In 2010, that number increased to 2,874.
- Since its inception, “K2” and “Spice” have been two of the most popular brands of synthetic marijuana.
June 13, 2013
Bath Salts Facts
Interesting Facts Related to This Episode