- Timber rattlesnakes can grow up to five feet in length and are sometimes referred to as a "velvet-tail" or "banded" rattler.
- Approximately 23 percent of prisoners released in the United States are re-arrested within three years after getting out of prison.
- The unemployment rate for ex-convicts can be as high as 75 percent in the United States.
- An average attendance of 2000 people or more is needed every week in order for a church to be considered a mega church.
- Maine, Rhode Island, Vermont, Delaware are the only states to do not have a registered Mega-Church.
- Coal production in the central Appalachia region is estimated to fall 31 percent from 185 million tons in 2011 to 128 million tons in 2020.
- Copperheads are a slow snake that depends on their effective camouflage patterns to escape being seen by predators.
- Unlike adult copperheads, young copperheads have a green-yellow tip on their tail that attracts insects and small frogs.
- The Timber Rattlesnake is the largest venomous snake in Kentucky.
- Female timber rattlesnakes do not give birth until they are 4 to 6 years old. They give birth every other, or every third year depending on how far north the snake is.
- Baby timber rattlers are born between late summer and early fall.
- Around 79,000 people in the United States die from excessive alcohol consumption each year.
- In the year 2006, the Center for Disease Control estimated that $223.5 billion was spent on excessive alcohol consumption in the US. Three-quarters of the cost were consumers binge drinking.
- If a woman has more than four alcoholic drinks in one sitting, or a man has more than five drinks in one sitting, it is considered binge drinking.
- Drugs, like marijuana and cocaine, are involved in nearly 20 percent of all vehicle driver deaths.
- 18.1 million, or 7 percent, of Americans over 12 years old said that they had used marijuana during a one-month period in 2011.
- In 1996, treatment for heroin addiction costs totaled more than $1.2 billion for the United States.
- One of every 50 adults in 2011 was on probation or on parole in the Unites States.
- One of every 107 adults in 2011 were in jail or prison in the United States.
- Well known Christian evangelist, Billy Graham has met with every single US president since Harry Truman, a current run of more than 60 years.
- Billy Graham preached sermons known as "crusades" in large stadiums, such as the Rose Bowl, and founded his own magazine called "Christianity Today."
- From 1993 to 2011, 70 percent of all homicides in the United States were caused by firearms.
- Drugs such as oxycodone, methadone, hydrocodone, and other painkillers caused 91 percent of all unintentional deaths due to overdose in 2009.
- Drug overdose accounted for a death every 19 minutes in 2007.
- Of the more than 7,000 people bitten by venomous snakes in the US, only 5 to 6 people will actually die.
September 24, 2013
The Devil Fights Your Mind Facts