- Many state and local law enforcement agencies do not have the money to replace K9s that have retired or died, leaving experienced handlers without K9 partners.
- K9s4COPs raises funds to buy K9s for police departments who can't afford them.
- K9s4COPs is a non-profit organization based out of Houston, Texas.
- K9s4COPs was formed by Kristi Schiller in June of 2010.
- Kristi Schiller started K9s4COPs after seeing a news story about Harris County Deputy Ted Dahlin, whose K9 Blek was killed in action on December 22, 2009.
- A trained dog purchased by K9s4COPs typically costs between $10,500 and $12,500, depending on the level of training.
- $500,000 was raised at the first fundraiser for K9s4COPs.
- Liz Carreno is the Executive Director of K9s4COPs.
- Madisonville is a small town located in Madison County, Texas. The population of Madisonville, TX is around 4,200.
- Sgt. Jeff Covington is a canine handler from Madisonville, Texas.
- The Madisonville Police Department is made up of ten full time officers, two reserve officers, and one civilian employee.
- Madison County, TX is surrounded by water on three of its borders.
- A buy bust is an undercover police operation where officers buy drugs from a suspect on the street.
January 16, 2013