- Bighorn rams charge each other at speeds of up to 20 mph.
- Bighorn sheep have a double-layered skull. The extra thickness helps protect them when they crash heads during battle.
- The horns of bighorn sheep are made up of a protein called keratin. The same substance makes up human hair and fingernails.
- In the summertime, bighorn sheep will climb to elevations as high as 8,500 feet.
- Mountain lions can kill prey 6 times their size.
- Mountain lions are so elusive that researches can't accurately estimate their population numbers.
- The night vision of a mountain lion is 6 times better than that of a human's.
- Mountain lions are the largest felids that purr.
- Adult mountain lions can reach over 8 feet from head to tail.
- Mountain lions can eat 20 to 30 pounds of meat at one time.
July 17, 2013
Mountain Lion vs. Bighorn Facts