- Groups of humans in parties of two or more are less likely to be fatally attacked by a black bear.
- A large male brown bear can stand over 8 feet tall on his hind legs.
- Black bear attack rates are rising with human population growth in North America.
- The strength of a grizzly bear has been measured as 2.5 to 5 times as strong as that of a human.
- Bears have been known to run over 30 miles per hour.
- Since 2000, there have been over 20 estimated incidents in which privately owned bears have escaped or been found released from their enclosures.
- A tiger's confrontational roar contains energy in the infrasonic range which is below levels of human hearing.
- The saber tooth tiger went extinct over 12,000 years ago.
- According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature, there are nine subspecies of leopards.
- A tiger's claws can range from 3 to almost 4 inches in length.
September 07, 2012
Facts: Dances With Bears