- The tail makes up around a third of the cat's length.
- The cheetah is the only cat that cannot retract their claws.
- Cats cannot chew food with their teeth. Their teeth are designed to tear chunks of food that are swallowed whole.
- The Cheetah's lungs and heart are large relative to their size. Their nostrils are larger too to help them breathe better after racing to catch their meal.
- Each cat's whiskers are in a pattern that are as unique as a human fingerprint.
- Cheetah cubs are camouflaged to look like an aggressive honey badger to discourage other predators from attacking.
- Leopards like to store their food safely in branches of trees.
- Tigers have a harder time in hot climates than other large cats. So it is no surprise why they love to swim!
- Lions only hunt for 2 to 3 hours a day. But when they do, they can eat up to 75 pounds at a time and go a week before they need to hunt again.
- The only cat known to have a diet heavily rounded with fruits and veggies like the sweet potato is the Flat Headed Cat.
- Lions used to roam the North American frontier, but disappeared around 10,000 years ago.
- All living tiger species are endangered today. There are six in total.
- Charlemagne and Genghis Khan kept cheetahs as pets.
- The cheetah used to be called a hunting leopard.
November 09, 2012
Attack of the Big Cats Facts