- A lion’s heels never touch the ground when they walk.
- There are over 460 different species of shark that live in the world’s oceans.
- A newborn giraffe calf is six feet tall.
- A hippo can hold its breath for five minutes underwater.
- A male donkey is known as a “Jack,” while a female donkey is known as a “Jennet.”
- The boomslang is one of the most venomous of all African snakes.
- Alligators have five toes on their front legs and four toes on their back legs.
- A rhino’s skin is very sensitive to sunburn and insect bites, which is why they like to wallow in mud to protect their skin.
- A baboon lives about 30 years in the wild.
- The jaguar’s name comes from the Native American word “yaguar,” meaning “he who kills with one leap.”
- A warthog’s tusks usually grow to about 10 inches (25cm) in length.
- Elephants do not actually drink water through their trunks, but they can use their trunks to suck up liquids.
- Adult male brown bears are called “boars,” while female brown bears with cubs are called “sows.”
- There are four different species of hyena—spotted, striped, brown, and the aardwolf.
- A different name for wildebeest is “gnu.”
November 05, 2013
Cannibal Shark Facts