- There have been cases of bull sharks being found thousands of miles up the Amazon River.
- A leopard’s spots are called rosettes.
- African elephants are the largest land mammals on the planet.
- Gorillas can reach the age of 35 years in the wild, and up to 54 years in captivity.
- The African wild dog is also known as the African painted dog, because of its distinct markings.
- A male lion can devour over 40 pounds of meat per meal.
- Dolphins do not chew their food. They swallow it whole.
- Vultures have a pouch in their throat called a crop that can store food for eating later.
- The most widespread baboon species is the olive baboon, or anubis baboon.
- Impala are the most common antelope in the African bushveld.
- A giraffe’s tongue is 18-20 inches long.
- There are 37 different species of mongoose.
- The black mamba gets its name for the color inside its mouth: black.
- The Boston terrier was the 23rd most popular dog breed in the United States in 2012, according to the American Kennel Club (AKC).
- Tiger sharks get their name from the stripes across their bodies.
May 22, 2013
Elephant Rampage Facts