- Great white, mako, and salmon sharks will drown if they stop moving.
- A leopard can climb 50 feet up a tree with a dead animal in its mouth, even if the animal is bigger than itself.
- Elephants throw sand on their backs and heads to prevent themselves from getting sunburn.
- The name hippopotamus comes from a Greek word that means “water or river horse.”
- Bears can run up to 35 miles per hour.
- Lions can be inactive for 21 hours a day.
- A hyena can eat one-third of its body weight in one meal.
- Wolves can sprint at over 35 miles per hour for short distances.
- The African buffalo is also known as the Cape buffalo.
- Chimpanzees are classified as apes and not as monkeys. One difference between apes and monkeys is that monkeys usually have tails, and apes do not.
- An adult koala eats about one to two pounds of leaves every day.
- African penguins have excellent underwater vision, but they are nearsighted on land.
- Crocodiles have the most highly developed brains of all the reptile species.
- The stripe pattern on each zebra is as unique as a fingerprint.
- African wild dogs usually hunt twice daily, in early morning and early evening.
May 22, 2013
Penguin Smackdown Facts