- Saint Bernards were originally used to help rescue travelers during snowstorms.
- The first time Saint Bernards came to be known as such was in 1707.
- All Saint Bernards used to be short-haired. Eventually, they were bred with longer-haired dogs in order to make them more adapted to cold weather.
- In 2013, Saint Bernards were the 47th most registered dog breed in America.
- Saint Bernards can grow to be up to 180 pounds.
- Saint Bernards are about 26-27 inches tall at the shoulder.
- A single Saint Bernard is credited with saving the lives of more than 40 people.
- Despite popular portrayal in media, Saint Bernards probably never wore barrels of liquor around their necks.
January 30, 2015