- Hippos can hear well above and below the water.
- Hippos’ jaws have been known to cut crocodiles in half during an attack.
- If you find yourself close to a hippo, the best advice is to stay calm and quiet and try to blend in to the background.
- Contrary to popular belief, hippos do not sweat blood. They secrete a red oily liquid which acts as a moisturizer and sunblock.
- Despite their fearsome reputation, hippos are actually herbivores.
- Fully-grown hippos can weigh between 5,000 and 8,000 lbs.
- Hippos spend up to 16 hours a day submerged in lakes or rivers in order to keep cool in the hot climate of Africa.
- Hippo calves can suckle underwater by closing their ears and nostrils.
- In many countries, hippo populations are in decline. They once had a broader distribution, but now live in eastern, central and southern sub-Saharan Africa.
- Hippos’ closest living relatives are whales and porpoises.
- There is a colony of hippos in Colombia, introduced there by the drug dealer Pablo Escobar.
- There are about 7,000 hippos in Zimbabwe.
September 06, 2013
Hippo Rampage Facts