- The temperature of the majority of the deep ocean is only a few degrees above freezing.
- Though many sharks travel through vast sections of ocean, blacktip reef sharks rarely venture out of a one square mile section of reef.
- While most fish have what is called a swim bladder that keeps them afloat while stationary, sharks will sink to the bottom if they stop swimming.
- There are currently 25 different submarine museums in the United States that you can explore.
- While Cornelius van Drebbel built the first submarine in 1620, Leonardo da Vinci drew the first sketches between 1452 and 1519.
- A group of jellyfish is called a smack.
- Known as the fastest fish in the ocean, the sailfish can reach speeds of 68 mph (110 kilometers).
- The island of Curacao has over 40 dive spots, some of which are only accessible by boat.
- The Guinness world record for the most people scuba diving simultaneously is 2,486 in Indonesia.
- The deepest spot in the ocean is 35,840 feet (10,924 meters) below sea level. That is over a mile higher than Mount Everest.
- The viperfish has teeth too large to fit inside its mouth. Instead, they curve back all the way to the fish's eyes.
November 06, 2012
Pimp My Tank Facts