- There are over 85 different species of fish within the family Pomacanthidae.
- Elasmobranch is a subclass of fish that encompasses all species of sharks, skates and rays, which have five or seven pairs of gills.
- Sailfin Tangs defend feeding territories in pairs and the more territorial of the two develops a darker color.
- Stingrays symbolize many different things to many different cultures. For aboriginal societies in Australia, the stingray represents social harmony, good parenting, cultural survival, peacemaking and a good harvest.
- Scientists estimate that Loggerhead Sea Turtles can live as long as 62 years in the wild.
- Due to the presence of stingray barbs in ancient Mayan burial grounds, archeologists have postulated that these were one of the tools used during bloodletting rituals.
- During reproduction, male stingrays of this species bite into the female’s pectoral fin.
- Lookdowns got their name because their heads resemble a disapproving, snobbish human expression.
April 30, 2013