- Mount St. Helens is the most active volcano in the Northwest and one of the most closely monitored volcanos.
- Since the 1980 eruption, plants and trees have grown back.
- The eruption of Mount St. Helens has the largest debris avalanche recorded in human history.
- Bears will not attack unless they feel threatened so make loud noises, the bears will usually go away.
- Cougars tend to be solitary creatures that watch their prey before pouncing at the right moment. They are known to be silent stalkers and are hard to see.
- Black bears have a very keen sense of smell. They can weigh up to 600 lbs and run up to 35 mph.
- Daily freezing and heating of rocks causes it to break down and tumble down the slope of a mountain.
- It is common rock climbing etiquette to yell out when a rock is falling to alert others behind you. This is to avoid any injuries.
February 18, 2014
Trial By Fire Facts