- Guinea pigs are able to adapt to many environments, but they are anxious animals that are vulnerable to changes in temperature and moisture.
- Female guinea pigs are called sows and typically have between one and thirteen young per litter, with four being the average.
- The average guinea pig lifespan is between six and eight years, with males reaching puberty around three months and females, around two months.
- The guinea pig social structure is based around family units, which are led by a dominant male.
- Hedgehogs are native to Europe, Asia and Africa with over fifteen different hedgehog species spread across those three continents.
- Hedgehogs forage for food – their diet is composed of a variety of insects, mice, frogs, even snakes.
- Pigs are a part of the order Artiodactyla, which means “even-toed ungulates.” Interestingly enough, also in this animal order are giraffes, camels, hippopotamuses and cattle, to name a few.
- Pigs were domesticated about 10,000 years ago and today inhabit all continents but Antarctica.
- There are many factors that can lead to ketosis in cows, including its diet; however, the disease has be seen in well-nourished cows as well.
- Ketosis, or acetonaemia, is a disease connected to an amplified need for glucose and is common in dairy cows but can also occur in other animals.
July 29, 2014
Piggin Out Facts