- The average gestation period for an Asian Elephant is 22 months, but Azizah, a resident of the Whipsnade Zoo located just north of London, held out for 700 days, making it the longest pregnancy period ever recorded. The mother and calf were healthy and happy.
- French researchers have found that mosquitoes are 30% more attracted to beer drinkers.
- Researchers are studying how mosquitoes deal with raindrops that are 50 times their body mass to get a better understanding of building flying robots in the future. Mosquitoes don't avoid the massive raindrops. Instead they ride the waves of moisture making it glide past them, the impact equivalent to a human brushing their arm with a feather.
- Sea turtles have extremely unique sex organs. When erect they extend nearly half the animal's eight foot body length and discharge semen from four different branches, which scientists think is for impregnating female turtles from long distances.
- A squirrel can fall a distance of 100 feet and survive, using its large bushy tail like a parachute.
- The first ever human fatality caused by a leopard seal was recorded in 2003 when a marine biologist was dragged underwater while snorkeling in Antarctica.
- The hippopotamus is responsible for more human fatalities than any other animal in Africa thanks to their ability to run over 20mph with canine teeth reaching up to 20 inches. They also become extremely aggressive if you get between a mother and her baby.
- A hippopotamus can bite with 1,821 pounds per square inch. Compare that with a human at 150 or even a lion at 691.
- A drunk Chinese tourist who was bitten by a panda bear after climbing into its enclosure decided to retaliate by biting the panda back.
- A mother of two is fulfilling her maternal desire after not being able nurse her children by breastfeeding her daughter's pet pug.
- Raccoon droppings can carry a parasite that has been known to be fatal to humans called raccoon roundworm. It is extremely rare but can cause nausea, irritations, blindness and eventually, death.
- An adult gorilla's upper body strength is six times more powerful than an adult human.
- Researchers have found that female gelada monkeys have adapted to miscarry when a new male enters the group. Typically a new male will kill off the babies of his predecessor, so females miscarry to prevent the inevitable infanticide.
- The venom of a water moccasin can kill by breaking down and destroying blood cells to reduce the body's ability to coagulate or clot. This is why a biochemist at Whittier College has been using water moccasin venom to fight bloodstains on cotton clothing.
- The mango fly sometimes lays its eggs in clothing that is hanging out to dry in the hopes a human will make contact so the newly hatched larvae can burrow under the skin to grow. All you need to get rid of them is to cover the boil with a viscous compound to suffocate the intruder and pop it out.
March 12, 2013
Animals Behaving Badly Facts