National Geographic Society

  • Connect:

Snake Salvation

A Bite on the Hand

A church member is bit by a copperhead as he tries to capture a snake.

Info

Check your local listings.

Snake Salvation: A Bite on the Hand

Published

A church member is bit by a copperhead as he tries to capture a snake.

Share

1 comments
Katrina Kirby
Katrina Kirby

Yes, Copperheads are poisonous, but they are not lethal.Its venom is relatively weak, and a bite is rarely fatal to humans. The only possible lethal occurrences would be if someone was allergic to the venom, or if the bite became infected, just like any other wound or bite. Anyone that has done research in herpetology would know this. 

There can be several unrelated species of snake named for their reddish head. The North American copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix), is a pit viper of swampy, rocky, and wooded regions of the central and eastern U.S. It's also called the highland moccasin, usually less than 3 ft (1 m) long. Copperheads are pinkish or reddish with a copper-coloured head and reddish brown, often hourglass-shaped crossbands on its back. One of the more dangerous characteristics of most reptiles, even healthy ones, carry Salmonella. Salmonella bacteria can live for days on surfaces so direct contact with a reptile is not necessary to become sick.